Mexican Flank Steak with a Jicama & Mixed Citrus Salad
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Marinating time: 3 to 6 hours
Grilling time: 16 to 20 minutes
2 teaspoon pure chile powder
2 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon minced serrano chile, with seeds (or Jalapeno pepper)
Jicama & Mixed Citrus (Orange) Salad
- 1 small red onion, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups jicama cut into match sticks
- 2 jars Del Monte Citrus Salad ( or 4 oranges sectioned)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients
- Trim the steak of any surface fat. (have this done at the butcher) Press the rub into both sides of the steak. Cover the steak with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours.
- In a small bowl whish the dressing ingredients.
- Lightly brush or spray the onion slices with oil. Grill over direct medium heat (350 to 450), with the lid closed as much as possible, until well marked and tender, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and chop nto 1/2 inch pieces. Place the onion in a medium bowl and add the jicama and Del Monte Citrus Salad (drained) or (4 oranges sectioned), pour in the dressing, toss with two forks, and season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. Serve at room temperature.
- Allow the steak to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Brush or spray both sides of the steak with oil and season with salt. Grill over direct medium heat with the lid closed as much as possible, until the internal temperature reaches 145F for medium rare, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and allow to res 3 to 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin diagonal slices. Serve warm with the salad.
From Weber’s Big Book of Grilling
by jamie Purviance and sandra S. McRae.
I have taken the liberty of changing things to this receipe. I used Delmonte Citrus Salad only because I hate to section oranges. And I didn’t have any coriander or serrano peppers. So I used a Jalapeno and Pablano. I also took out the Garlic Powder. And I doubled up the rub ingredients. I don’t think I have made any of the receipe’s exact.
Right off the grill with Summer-Grilling.Com