GRILLED VEAL CHOPS
With A Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 large red bell pepper (or use 1 poblano)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (real mayonnaise don’t skimp)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon pure Chile powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 veal chops, about 12 ounces each and 1-1/2 inches thick
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350 to 450)
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the bell pepper(poblano) over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the skin is blackened and blistered all over, 12 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Place the pepper in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam. Set aside for at least 10 minutes, then remove the pepper from the bowl and peel away the charred skin. Cut off the top, and remove the seeds, and roughly chop the pepper. Place in a food processor along with the remaining sauce ingredients. Process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until about 20 minutes before you are ready to serve.
- In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients, and then crush the spices between your fingertips to release their flavors.
- Let the Chops stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Lightly brush the chops with oil and then divide the rub evenly over both sides of the Veal Chops. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until just slightly pink in the center, 12 to 15 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with the sauce.
From Weber’s Real Grilling
by Jamie Purviance
Right off the grill with Summer-Grilling.Com